Friday, June 20, 2008

Ahhh Utah!

Last week I was afforded the opportunity to travel to Salt Lake City, Utah to lay to rest Grandma Grace. LeAnna has posted some fantastic pictures and chronicled the event quite well in her blog so I will direct you there for that.

The part of the trip that only I could put a face on was the unique landscape of Salt Lake City itself.

Being a reasonably active, meeting going member of the LDS church, and a closet apologetic that has not grown up or lived in Utah, I find parts of Salt Lake City odd. It looks strange to me that there is a LDS meetinghouse on nearly every street in this valley. I remember a street between Bountiful and Ogden where there are 2 chapels on opposite sides of the street. (There are more LDS meetinghouses then 7-11s in SLC anymore!). I aslo find it odd (yet understandable) that a large % of people walking around downtown are dressed to the nines and carrying a small suitcase. But I find it equally odd when non-church related business in town uses the churchs name as well. Here is my case in point.





Points of interest:
"This is the Place"
It is not open on Sunday? Jack Mormon indeed!

Salt Lake City is a place that we wanted to move to for the recreation and proximity to family. Upon returning home the words of a familiar cliche' ring true
"Be it ever so humble, there is no place like home"

2 comments:

Amy said...

My thought are... Utah is a nice place to visit... :) and I am one that grew up there and will be "visiting" in August. lol

Amy said...

Yes... Utah is a nice place to visit... But there is no place like home... this is coming from someone who grew up there. I get to "visit" Utah in August. Good Times.